This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Flatout Flatbread. All opinions are 100% mine.
Today is one of my favorite of all days. Today is the first day of spring!
It’s official, friends, the long hard winter is behind us. Goodbye to the cold and snow and dreary dark mornings, and hello to blossoms, birds, sunshine, warm(er) weather, and longer days. I know, I know, it doesn’t happen overnight. But this day marks the arrival of springtime which symbolizes rebirth, life, and hope. And that is enough to put a smile on my face.
Want more reasons to smile? I’ve got another one: Green Goddess Pizza with Kale Pesto. This new recipe is basically like putting spring on top of a perfectly thin and crispy crust and eating it all up! Topped with some of my favorite springtime vegetables like fresh asparagus, peas, and watercress, this light meal will fill you up, satisfy your tastebuds, and reenergize your spirit.
The base of this Green Goddess Pizza is a simple kale pesto. The pesto is made up of fresh kale, Italian parsley, and pine nuts. It uses nutritional yeast to give it a bit of that cheesy flavor we all love – as well as added benefits like extra B12, yay – and lots of fresh garlic and lemon juice.
The result? A perfectly seasoned fresh pesto that is packed with vegetables for lots of those important vitamins and nutrients and a delicious foundation for building any number of healthy, seasonal pizzas.
I can say without a doubt this isn’t the last time you’ll be seeing a pesto pizza on the blog.
To make this Green Goddess Pizza even healthier I used Flatout Flatbread’s Artisan Thin Pizza Crust. Flatout Flatbread has recently partnered with Weight Watchers, becoming Weight Watchers official flatbread. All Flatout breads have between 2-4 SmartPoints each, making them a healthy low calorie alternative that provides a terrific source of protein and fiber.
If you are unfamiliar with Flatout Flatbread, make sure to check them out. You can find their breads in the bakery section of most major grocery stores or visit their website to find a store near you.
So lighten up, my friends!
Winter is over and spring has arrived. Celebrate this wonderful season of life and hope with all the fresh green vegetables you can imagine. Pile them high atop a Flatout Flatbread pizza crust for this Green Goddess Pizza you can feel great about eating!
This post was sponsored by Flatout Flatbread. As always, all opinions are 100% mine.
Green Goddess Pizza
- 2 Flatout Flatbread Artisan Thin Pizza Crusts
- 1 batch Kale Pesto (recipe to follow)
- 6-8 stalks of asparagus
- ¼ small white onion, cut into thin rings
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup watercress
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts (optional)
- 1 cup loosely-packed kale, chopped
- ½ cup Italian parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pinenuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the Flatout Flatbread Pizza Crusts for 3 minutes.
- To make the Kale Pesto combine kale, parsley, garlic, pine nuts, and lemon juice in a food processor. Blend for about 1 minute until kale is broken down and ingredients are well combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil. Scrape down the sides and run for 20 more seconds until creamy. Salt to taste.
- Cup asparagus in 1" long pieces. If asparagus is thick, also cut it lengthwise to help it cook. Evenly disperse asparagus, onions, peas, and pine nuts between the two pizzas and bake for 8 minutes, until the crusts are crispy
- Remove from oven and top with watercress and hemp hearts and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Serve warm.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter