Happy December Everyone.
Let the Christmas cookie baking commence!
I’m starting this year off big with these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp red food coloring*
- 1 cup vegan white chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand-up mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add applesauce 1/4 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and red food coloring.
- With mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients to bowl, scraping sides as necessary until all the dries are combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 2 hours until dough is firm enough to form balls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place powdered sugar in a low bowl and roll cookie batter into balls about 1 heaping tablespoon in size. Generously coat them in powdered sugar and place them on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Makes 3 dozen
What is your favorite kind of Christmas cookie?
One of my favorites is Hazelnut Sandies (aka snowballs, Mexican Wedding Cookies), but this year I’m going to be trying out a lot of new recipes. Are there any cookies from your traditions you want me to veganize?
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter