You know what we could all use a little more of right now?
Okay, true. You know what else we could use a little more of?
Yes! And you know what will happen if you make and eat said queso?
You will positively be glad you did.
And so, to answer all the world’s problems (or perhaps just one very small, inconsequential one), I bring you a delicious and simple vegan queso recipe – a cheesey, flavorful dip that will both satisfy your craving and provide you with the healthful benefits from my friends, cauliflower and nutritional yeast.
A few months back I made this Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce with my favorite new vegetable. That was the beginning of a beautiful relationship between me and cauliflower. Ever since then I have been having much fun experimenting with this vegetable, as those of you who follow along have probably noticed.
This vegan cauliflower queso is very similar to the Alfredo sauce recipe. I made a few adjustments and changed the seasoning but used a similar method for a quick and healthy recipe you will surely love.
Besides all of the benefits of cauliflower, which you can read about here, this vegan queso also has the many benefits of nutritional yeast.
What are those benefits? Why, let me tell you!
Nutritional yeast, aka “nooch”, is an inactive yeast known for it’s nutty, cheesey flavors. Nooch is a staple in most vegans pantries as it provides:
- A complete source vitamin B
- A great source of protein
- Immune boosters
- Antiviral and antibacterial benefits
- Healthy digestion
- Healthy hair, skin, and nails
A vegan queso with great taste and all these health benefits! Who wouldn’t need a little more of that in their life?
So grab some chips and dig into this creamy, cheesey, warm, buttery vegan cauliflower queso.
Your tastebud will dance with delight and your body will thank you.
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 sundries tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 1 hour before making the queso. Once soaked, drain and rinse. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat vegan butter or oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeños and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown and fragrant. Remove about half of the onion/jalapeño mixture and set aside.
- Leave the other half of the onions/jalapeños in the pan, stir in cauliflower and vegetable broth. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and broth has absorbed.
- Add to a high-powered blender along with remaining ingredients, including the cashews. Blend until completely smooth. Add extra milk, about 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Stir in remaining onions and jalapeños and top with fresh jalapeños. Serve with chips or raw carrots.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter