Oh, hey there!
If you’re looking for a delicious, hearty, and creative summer time salad, you’ve come to the right place. Today, just one week before it is officially summer (excited squeal) and the last week with kids in school (terrified squeal) I bring you my vegan BLT salad – a refreshing mix of Romaine lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, tofu bacon, and my easy ranch dressing…oh my!
Many meat-eating people that I know love to tell me that they, “could totally go vegan except for bacon.” Similar, to the whole cheese argument, right? Well my meat-eating, bacon-loving friends, I’m here to tell you that there are many different vegan bacon options out there. Why is that EVEN better than the bacon you love?
Because these options are 100% free of animal suffering and abuse!
From store bought to homemade, vegan bacon can be made with anything from eggplant, tempeh, rice paper, mushrooms, and even coconut. In fact, whole books have been written on vegan bacon because vegans know that people love their bacon and they want you to know that you can have your (vegan) bacon and eat it, too!
For this vegan BLT salad recipe I chose to use tofu for the bacon to give the salad a little extra protein and making it a filling lunch or light dinner. This tofu bacon is smoky, salty, and chewy for a plant-based alternative that will satisfy everyone.
I also used my easy ranch dressing to dress the salad in a creamy, garlicky sauce that perfectly counters the flavors of the bacon. Then I throw on some homemade croutons for a crunchy bite that gives body and texture to this perfect seasonal salad.
So dive into the world of vegan bacon and lighten up with this flavorful vegan BLT salad!
- 1 head Romain lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups homemade croutons
- ½ batch Tofu Bacon (recipe to follow)
- Easy Ranch Dressing
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow pan, mix together the water, soy sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and pepper. Cutting lengthwise, thinly slice the tofu and place in the marinade, making sure tofu is completely covered. Place in the refrigerator and marinade for 1 hour.
- While tofu is marinading make the homemade croutons and easy vegan ranch.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet, Once hot, add tofu and sauté for about 5 minutes per side, until crisp and fragrant. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Combine the ingredient for the salad, top with ranch dressing. Serve immediately.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter