I don’t think there is a better smell than that of freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
Ah, the sweet and cinnamon and buttery…
Despite cinnamon rolls being among the most wonderful foods, they can be a little bit daunting to make. With the rising and the rolling and the more rising, I mean, come on! But really, cinnamon roll making does not have to intimidate. They are really quite simple to make and the perfect activity for a rainy day at home. Today I’m going to walk you through the steps of making these easy vegan cinnamon rolls so that, if you’re so inclined, your house can be smelling as heavenly as mine in just a couple hours.
Making the Dough
Making the dough is pretty straight-forward. To start, we’re gonna want to activate the yeast in warm milk. While that’s activating, we can mix together the dry ingredients with a little bit of vegan butter. With the motor running, we add in our chickpea flour concoction (serves as an egg replacer) and activated yeast.
Once the dough is, well, dough-like we’re gonna flip it onto a floured surface, kneed it for about 5 minutes, and place it in an oiled bowl. Next we cover it for our first rise. We’re looking for our dough to double in size; this should take about an hour.
Making the Roll
Once your dough has doubled in size, transfer it back to a floured surface. At this point we’re gonna roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4″ thick, trimming the edges so that we have nice, straight lines. Once our rectangle is made, we spread a whole lotta vegan butter over the entire surface and top it with cinnamon and sugar. Then we start rolling it into a long, thin, cinnamon-y log. Cut the roll in 1″ pieces and place them in an oiled dish. Cover and let double in size again.
Notice the difference before and after the 2nd rise in the two pictures below.
Baking the Roll
Now the waiting is over and the baking can begin! We are going to bake these cinnamon rolls for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. We’ll know they are done because they will be golden brown on top (see picture below) and your house will be deliciously fragrant.
Frost the Roll
Then our easy vegan cinnamon rolls get smothered in a sweet glaze – a simple mix of powdered sugar and soy milk
Eat the Rolls
This one is pretty self-explanatory.
So let’s get your house filled with the delicious smells of these easy vegan cinnamon rolls. You’ll be so glad you did!
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk, divided
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 packages)
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, soften
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Heat 1 cup of soy milk over medium heat until milk is warm but not too hot to touch (about 100 degrees F). Stir in dry active yeast and set aside for 10 minutes for yeast to activate.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup milk with chickpea flour, whisking it together until thick and gooey. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of a stand-up mixer, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and vegan butter. Using the hook attachment, mix to combine.
- With motor running, slowly add chickpea flour and yeast/milk mixtures, scrapping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at at time and beat to combine. Once the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl and is soft to the touch, the dough is done.
- Transfer to a floured surface and kneed the dough for about five minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large oiled bowl, cover in plastic wrap, and place in a warm area of your house for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- When dough is ready (you will know if when you stick your finger in it, the dent remains), roll out onto a floured covered surface into a large rectangle about 1/4 ” thick. Trim edges.
- Spread the vegan butter over the entire surface of the dough, leaving the top 1/4" of the rectangle clean. Combine cinnamon and sugar and spread evenly over the butter. Starting at the bottom of the rectangle, roll dough evenly into a tight roll. With your fingers press together the seam. Seam side down, cut dough using a serrated knife into 15 equal pieces, about 1” thick.
- Place cinnamon rolls evenly in oiled 8x12 (or similarly sized) pan. Cover and allow dough to rise for a second time until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once cinnamon rolls are ready, remove plastic wrap and brush tops and sides with soy milk (optional).
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling wrack and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for the glaze and pour on top cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter