If you were to ask 10-year-old me what my favorite food was, I would tell you without heartbeat,
“Mashed potatoes. Obviously.”
Creamy, (vegan) buttery, melt-in-your-mouth delicious potatoes. I mean, what is better than that? Yes, I’ve had a life-long mini-obsession with mashed potatoes. So why I didn’t have a recipe for them on my blog is beyond me. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it seemed like the perfect time to remedy this problem. I whipped up a batch of Roasted Garlic Vegan Mashed Potatoes, covered them with Portobello Mushroom Gravy, and here you have it.
When I made these for the blog my original plan was to cream it up with some almond milk but when it got time to add the milk I discovered that all I had in my pantry was sweetened vanilla flavored. Since that would have been a terrible choice, I changed things up and added a little bit of vegan cream cheese to the potatoes instead and let me just say, I’m so glad I did. The cream cheese created that luscious, fluffy texture I was looking for and paired well with the roasted garlic. However, if you don’t have vegan cream cheese, you can sub out unsweetened non-dairy milk for a similar texture.
A few other notes on this recipe:
- Make sure the potatoes are cooked until soft; a fork should be able to pierce the potatoes easily. But don’t overcook!
- This remaining ingredients in this recipe are largely to taste, take liberty in adjusting them as you please
- If you’ve never roasted garlic before, check out this video tutorial.
These vegan mashed potatoes are super quick to throw together; they can be done in under 30 minutes and are everything you want them to be: creamy, garlicky, and seasoned to perfection.
Dress them up with a little bit of mushroom gravy and serve them with your upcoming holiday meal.
- 2 pounds red skin potatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese or (2 tablespoons non-dairy milk)
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oli
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off the tops of 2 garlic bulbs. Place in a piece of tin foil, drizzle with olive oil and cover. Bake for about 20 minutes, until garlic is soft all the way through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large stock pot bring 6 cups of water to boil. Add prepared potatoes and boil until soft, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, olive oil, and cream cheese to potatoes and with a handheld mixer or potato masher, mash potatoes to desired consistency.
- Serve with mushroom gravy
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter