You know what I love about having kids?
Lots of things.
But right up there at the top of the list is kids give parents the chance to re-live childhood. Totally unappreciated the first time around, I have been given another chance to watch the wonder of the world unfold through the eyes of Eden and now Nash. Through their eyes I see the reverence in the changing seasons and the awe found in the flying wisps of of dandelions. They remind me of the pure joy that can be found in running through sprinklers and jumping in rain puddles. Holidays are once again magical and learning how to ride a bike is monumental.
Childhood is awesome.
Now that Eden is a little bit older, we have started a weekend tradition. After Nash goes to bed Jason or I cook up a batch of popcorn on the stovetop then the three of us cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. Sitting there, each with our individual bowls of popcorn, I am more captivated by Eden who slowly and seemingly thoughtfully chews on her popcorn entranced by the animated story in front of her. She becomes a part in the movie, experiencing the joy and fear and relief far deeper than I could and I find myself equally enthralled watching her.
These evenings are some of my favorite.
Normally we don’t get so fancy with our popcorn but the other day I found the inspiration for this Peanut Butter Butterfingers Popcorn over on Pinterest and I immediately knew our weekend tradition was going to get a little sweeter. Since partnering with Go Max Go I am lucky enough to always have an excuse (who needs an excuse?) to experiment with their candy and make things I never thought possible when I first went vegan.
Go Max Go has mastered the vegan butterfingers with their Thumbs Up bar which has probably become my new Go Max Go favorite. The Thumbs Up combined with the caramel peanut butter make this popcorn one of the most addictively delicious snacks. Ever. Sweet, salty, peanut butter-y, chocolate-y, I can saw with confidence it’s not going to last long.
I just hope I didn’t ruin regular popcorn for Eden.
- 12 cups freshly popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup of kernels)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balace)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (corn syrup would also work)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Go Max Go Thumbs Up bars, crushed
- Place popped popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small pan combine vegan butter, brown sugar, brown rice syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil and let boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add baking soda and peanut butter. Stir until smooth.
- Immediately pour over popcorn. Add crushed Thumbs Up bars, and stir quickly to incorporate.
- Spread the popcorn in a single layer over wax paper and let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter