I’ve never really been into Valentine’s Day. This probably has to do with the many years I spent working in bakeries and restaurants making other people’s romantic nights beautiful and unforgettable. For people in the service industry Valentine’s Day, like every other holiday, is just a long hard day of work.
With this season of life being so full and busy I do, however, appreciate the reminder to reflect on those we love.
This year marks Jason and my 12th Valentine’s Day together. Yes, twelve. We were just teenagers when we fell in love. We met in college, the first day of freshman year. I noticed him right away. Dark skinned, huge dreadlocks, shredded jeans – he certainly stood out among the blue-eyed, blond haired, dutch students. I suppose I stood out too. A short redhead with a whole lot of crazy to unleash before eventually mellowing out (like two years ago).
Twelve years I have known and loved Jason. In those twelve years we graduated college, got married, adopted two cats, did some traveling, moved across the country, bought a house, got a dog, had a daughter, some major career changes, and had a son. I have spent over one third of my life waking up and having adventures with my best friend. I am one lucky gal. And while it doesn’t take Valentine’s Day for me to be reminded of that, I’ll take this day to pause and be be grateful.
Like every other year, the day will go by mostly unnoticed between Jason and me. But if I have any of this dark chocolate bar left (it’s not looking so good) I’ll bring it out after the kids go to bed, perhaps pour two glasses of wine, and share a moment with my valentine.
These Salted Goji Berry Chocolate Bars are the perfect way to celebrate your loved ones this year. I was uncertain about using goji berries because of their unique (acquired) taste, but combined with creamy dark chocolate and large Himalayan salt crystals, the berries provide a delicious balance of flavor.
- 16 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup vegan creamer or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 -1/3 cup Goji Berries
- good Himalayan or sea salt
- Melt chocolate in a double broiler (or the microwave). Whisk in creamer and coconut oil until fully combined.
- Spread chocolate onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with berries and salt, pressing slightly into the melted chocolate.
- Let the chocolate to harden slightly before scoring into 14-20 pieces. Place in the refrigerator for 45-60 minutes until hardened all the way through.
- Store in the refrigerator.
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter