When I first moved to Portland I was quick to find The Bye and Bye, an all vegan bar and restaurant that serves some amazing soul food. One bite of BBQ tofu and I was hooked on it. I went to The Bye and Bye weekly, ordered a BBQ bowl and an IPA, and enjoyed the evenings of my youth.
I haven’t been to The Bye and Bye for awhile. The last time I went was my 29th birthday. I had just come from 4+ hour of getting tattooed and certainly wasn’t in the mood for a celebration.* However I remember that birthday as feeling young and crazy.
Then I got pregnant, had a baby, and turned 30. Now I don’t go to
The Bye and Bye out. So I brought The Bye and Bye home by this recreation of the Barbecue Bowl. And now that I’m thirty (one), I’d much rather not shout over loud music while I eat or wait in line to use the bathroom. Home with Eden and Jason is exactly where I want to be.
*Don’t get a 4+ hour tattoo on your birthday, get a massage.
- Barbeque Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked (1/2 cup dry)
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup black eye peas
- ½ bunch kale
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ avocado
- Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- pinch of cayenne
- To make the tofu
- Cut tofu into 1'' cubes and place in a shallow container. Add 1 cup of barbecue sauce and stir to combine. Allow tofu to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Remove tofu from excess barbecue sauce, saving extra sauce, and transfer to a small bowl. Add nutritional yeast and mix to coat. Place tofu on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip tofu over, top with remaining barbecue sauce, and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes until browned and chewy.
- to make bbq sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute until translucent. Let cool. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Store in the refrigerator.
- to assemble the bowl:
- Heat up black eye peas in a saucepan over medium heat. Add about ¼ cup barbecue sauce and stir to coat.
- Steam kale until slightly soft. Mix with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Assemble bowl by placing rice on the bottom. Top with black eyed peas, BBQ tofu, and steamed kale. Finish with a few slices of avocado.
- Add extra barbecue sauce, hot sauce, or nutritional yeast to taste.
Now that I don’t go to The Bye and Bye much, my new favorite meal (that I must work on replicating) is the Bistro Beet Burger at Portobello. Oh Myyyyy!
You may also like:
My Darling Vegan Newsletter